We continue our homage to cocoa, a fabulous shade of brown and a delicious flavor.
11/2 cups flour
11/2 cups sugar
11/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Filling and Frosting
1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup heavy cream (total 1 cup)
1/2 tsp plus 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (total 1 tsp)
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 cup crushed candy canes
1/2 cup crushed pecans
1/4 cup powdered sugar
To make cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9" round cake pans.
2. Sift together in a mixing bowl the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
3. Beat in butter or vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla. Add the eggs and beat for 2 minutes more.
4. Divide batter evenly between the two cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes, remove cakes from pans, and cool completely.
To make filling/frosting:
1. To make filling and topping of cake, whip 1/2 cup heavy cream and1/2 tsp vanilla until fluffy. Fold in the marshmallows. Fold in most of the crushed candy canes, and chopped pecans. Spread filling between layers and on top of upper layer of cake.
2. To make frosting for sides of cake, whip together 1/2 cup of heavy cream, powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Use to frost sides of cake.
3. Sprinkle remaining crushed candy cane and chopped pecans on top of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.